ksue

a blog about knitting and stuff

Sunday, November 27, 2005

New FOs!

I've had a nice long weekend staying busy with my knitting. I sort of finished .....
NIMBUS



but I still have a few things I want to work out. For starters, I bought an all-purpose zipper assuming it would work. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until after I sewed it to the sweater that it didn't zip all the way down. Who knows what you could use a 22" zipper for that doesn't zip all the way down? In any case, I've been wearing it all weekend, but taking it on and off over my head like a jackass. Aside from the zipper, I'm still not that in love with the sweater. It's super warm and takes the bite out of the New England temps, but I already see the stictches loosing structure. I knit the sweater with the specified needles, but wish I opted for a smaller size. Oh well, I haven't taken it off all weekend, so I guess I can't complain.

Nimbus by Jennifer Thurston
featured in Magknits
Yarn - Rowan Polar in Silver Lining and Rowan Big Wool Tuft in Silver.
I followed the pattern to a t. The sweater knit up fast and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. The sweater was really fun to knit and gave me a chance to try some new techniques, making a hood, pockets, etc.
Knitting Dates - November 4 - November 23

Next FO - SPARKLE HAT

Sparkle Hat, SnB Handbook

Yarn - Lamb's Pride Bulky in Onyx

Knitting Date - 11/18/05

When my mom and sister flipped through SnB (separately), they both fell in love with this hat. So, I made two. It was a pretty fun hat to make and gave me a chance to work with beads and dpns. Surprisingly, I had a good experience with both. The most annoying thing about this hat was finding the pailettes with the large hole. I ended up just hole punching ones with the standard size hole. Not difficult, just plain boring. I have some extra yarn, maybe I'll make one for me, too.... Three girls, same hat?

ORANGE HAT

Pattern - I made it up as I went along.

Yarn - Plymouth Yukon

This hat is on its way to being frogged. It's really soft and sort of cute, but just isn't manly enough. I'm going to add a grey stripe to the bottom and make the ribs 3x1, not 2x2. Hopefully, that will help.

In Progress - Spencer Gloves, Rowan 38

I fell in love with these gloves after my first flip-through of Rowan 38. Of course to make them, I had to combine several skills (cables, gloves or even mittens, tiny needles) not yet conquered (or attempted) by me. No problem! As soon as I picked up the toothpicks required to knit these beauties, I wondered if I was in some trouble. But after a few rows, I started to dig the little needles. I'm still scared I won't be able to find a stitch if it slips off the needles, but everything is looking okay so far. It's gratifying to see the cables form and just plain nice to carry around such a dainty project.

Other news

I also ordered the yarn for Electra, in Rowan 38. I looked in three different LYS and couldn't find all the different yarns all at one place, so I sucked it up and ordered it online. I just hope it arrives before my flight to Aruba on Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home